Tuesday, August 15, 2017

THE SPEECH WE NEEDED TO HEAR

Welcome to SPLINKERNEWSMAX! The faux news agency that isn't afraid to speak the truth, after making sure no one else gets in trouble for telling it. SplinkerNewsMax is not owned by any major media corporation, although we are willing to entertain offers.

So here we are.  We have a president who has to be dragged kicking and screaming to the podium, to say "Nazi's bad."


Here's what he should have said:

"I am here today to apologize to the nation.  I was raised in a world where "white nationalism" was considered a good thing.  As many of you know, my father, a man who I have always respected and loved, was arrested at a Klu Klux Klan rally, many years ago.  

It's no secret that my father, and later myself, ran many businesses, where we discriminated against black tenants, or black people who wanted to become tenants in our buildings.

Later in my life, I called for the death penalty of five young black men.  After serving many years in prison, they were cleared of their crime.  They were innocent.  But even then, to my great shame, I did not apologize for my words, or for taking out the full page ad calling for the death penalty.

I wish I could say I learned my lesson then, but we all know that I did not.  I promoted  - and lied about - the birther conspiracy regarding President Obama.  Of course, I knew this conspiracy theory was false.  And I, of course, knew this was another dog whistle to appease the worst elements in what is now known as the "Alt Right" movement.  My words and actions were designed to increase distrust of the President, and allow people with hatred in their hearts - hatred for a man because of the color of his skin - to bring their prejudice into mainstream politics and society.  

For all this, I am deeply sorry.  

This Saturday, a White Nationalist committed an act of domestic terrorism, and I was silent.  For two days.  Last week, a mosque in Minneapolis was bombed, and I was silent.

All this, I have done to my greatest shame.  I placed what I thought was best for my image, over my duty and obligation to the country. In so doing, I failed the American people, and have injured the country that I promised to serve and protect.

No more.  From this day forward, I will not act to clothe ANY hate group, Neo Nazi, White Nationalist, the Klan, or any other, in a false cloak of legitimacy. Instead, I pledge to work with all communities to unite, rather than divide this country.  I have, I know, broken many promises to the American people.  But, if the American people are willing to give me one more chance, this promise I will keep. 

Thank you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

You have an opinion about everything else. Might as well have one here. Remember, spelling counts.