Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Cover Me

As the release date for "I've Been Deader," a near perfect blend of horror and comedy, draws near, I need to choose a book cover, as well as the selling price.  The former is not too difficult.
(are the brains on the table...?)

The price is a different matter.  Anyone who has self-published knows how cheap virtual readers are when it comes  to debut novels (not you guys, you guys are all generous to a fault; it's those other readers I'm talking about).  Very few novels get downloaded if they sell for more than a buck fifty.   People will spend up to $20.00 on a cheap thrill by the Lincoln Tunnel, but God forbid you ask them to pay $5.00 for a novel that is going to change the entire publishing industry and, dare I say, the world.

(or off the table...?)

I keep hearing stories about some woman who made fourteen billion dollars or something after self-publishing her books, but I don't give the story much credence.  It's like those rumors a few years abo about the McDonald's that sold McRib sandwiches all year long.   Everyone knew someone who was there, but no one ever actually found the place.

In the end, I know I'll have to suck it up and list "I've Been Deader" for .99 cents.   Later, when all my minions have purchased a copy, I'll up the price.  Which is my way of saying, buy early.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You have an opinion about everything else. Might as well have one here. Remember, spelling counts.