Sunday, November 3, 2013

Someone else who isn't me: Interview with Scarlett Savage!

Hello Splinkervillians!!  Once again, I am going to put aside my ego and not talk about myself or my work.  That's right.  Instead of reminding you to buy "Inside My Shorts: 30 Quickies" (don't click on it now or you might forget to come back), or promoting my new book, "Take A Breather," available this December! (Assuming I finish it), today's blog is about a topic that few people wish to focus on: Someone else who isn't me.


That's right.  Halloween is over, all my Snicker bars are gone, and the world is ready to forget about zombies.  Or at least my zombies.  Stupid world.



My friends stuck in England tell me that this is what they call women's panties over there!
Now that Thanksgiving is just around the corner, like my prequel, I felt it was time to focus on other writers who are less fortunate than me. But I don't have that kind of time.  So instead, I give you the long awaited, much anticipated, INTERVIEW WITH SCARLETE SAVAGE!

But first, a word from our sponsor:

Word!
 



Now, without further ado, my interview with author, Scarlett whatshername!
 
Me: Hello Ms. Savage, if that is your real name.  First off, have you read “I’ve Been Deader,” and how much did you love it? 
 
Not Me: I have not, but would love to.
 
Me: Well, it isn't like running a marathon or donating a kidney.  Click on the damn link and download it.
 
IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE, PEOPLE!
Me: How did you start your writing career?
 
Scarlett: When I was 6 years old, during a snowstorm (which meant no Saturday morning cartoons), I found a copy of “Little House in the Big Woods” in my teenaged aunt’s bedroom. It was the first book without pictures I’d ever read, but within the first few pages, I made an incredible discovery; the words made pictures in your MIND. I thought then and now that that was just about the coolest thing ever. It took me a week to read it, and when I was done, I thought to myself (being the kind of child I was), “Well, I can do THAT!!” Professionally, I began writing and winning awards for plays while still in college.
 
Me: They make books without pictures?  Tell us about a favorite character from a book.
 
Savage: Just one?? Sorry, gonna have to widen that!!
These are a few of my favorite things!
 
 1) Tom Cullen and Nick Andros from “The Stand” 2) Sherlock Holmes (as we speak, there are two TV shows that are directly based on him and three that are indirectly (Castle, The Mentalist, Beauty and the Beast) 3) Jacky Faber, from the Bloody Jack series 4) Sally J. Freedman, from “Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself” by Judy Blume (that kid IS me at ten) 5) Anna from “My Sister’s Keeper” by Jodi Picoult 6) Becky Bloomwood Brandon from the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella 7) Higgins from the Bloody Jack series 8) Jacob Winter from “Green Girls” by Michael Kimball 9) Patrick T. Web from “Odds&Ends” by Dustin LaValley (you should interview him, he’s the next Stephen King, and since King’s my idol, I don’t say that lightly) and 10) Scarlett O’Hara, from “Gone with the Wind” by Margaret Mitchell.
 
Me: I know you are an author, but try to keep your answers brief. Keeping in mind that my address is unlisted, where do you dream of traveling to and why?
 
Not me: Anywhere in the UK. I’m 100% Scots, which is rare for a 4th generation American; I was in the middle of a  6-week work trip to London, and sitting in the middle of the paws of the Lion at Trafalgar Sq. when I realized I was pregnant with my firstborn (her grandmother took a picture of her there ten years later!). I’ve never been to Paris and I would love to; also to Australia, Italy, Japan, and Ireland. 
They can take away our royalties, but they can never take away our freedom!  Although if I had to choose between royalties and freedom...
 
Me: Does travel play in the writing of your books?
 
Not Me: In “Broken Raven”, the band Dues Ex Machina does a cross-country tour for their smash album, but the locales don’t really affect the storyline. 
 
Me:  So, a simple "No" then. Tell us about your first time.
 
Scarlett:  Excuse me?
 
Me:  Sorry, that was a typo. Tell us about your current release.
 
Savage: I have two: “Broken Raven” from Taylor Street Books is about an alternative America in which drugs were legalized fifteen years ago; the country is economically booming like never before, but the country is morally polarized like at no other time since the Civil War. A band, Dues Ex Machina (whose members are a microcosm of the country’s varied points of view) win an “American Idol” type contest, and take their first tour as the country (and the band) fight through these upheavals. That one’s released at the end of October 2013. The second, “She Effin’ Hates Me: A Love Story” published by SkyHorse Publishing, is based on my multi-award-winning off-Broadway play, is about a couple, Buddy and Ava, who didn’t make it in their teens getting a second chance in their sixties. Meanwhile, Ava’s daughter Suzanne gets a message that her own daughter Molly is coming home for a quick visit after Freshman Orientation at Vassar, because she has an announcement. Suzanne is terrified that history is going to repeat itself, and she’s about to become a 36-year-old grandmother. After a few days of tense and comical mishaps based on this supposition (esp. when Molly brings home with her a “friend”, a bleached blond overly pierced and tattooed boy named Brandon), Molly’s announcement turns out to be not that she’s pregnant, but gay.
 
Me: We interrupt this answer in order to take a short coffee break.
Click here  It's a good read and shorter than this interview!
 
 
 
Not Me Again: The ultra-liberal Suzanne reacts in a way that no one could have predicted. It’s a story about loving your family for who they are…and more importantly, who they’re not. Tell us about your next release. I’m currently working on sequels to both books, as well as a nonfiction book on the death of Rebecca Zahau (the girlfriend of Jonah Shacknai, pharmaceutical billionaire who was found hanged naked over a high balcony, her hands and feet bound, a t-shirt stuffed so far back into her mouth it ruptured her throat, chunks of her hair were torn out of her head and blood smeared on the wall…and the cop in charge ruled it a SUICIDE. His explanation for the blood? “everyone knows that women get crazy on their periods” despite the fact it was not menstrual blood. This was the same cop, BTW, who blew the Ruby Ridge case for the FBi in the nineties and got several members of a family killed.) I’m also working on a chick lit book called “Thinking With Your Ring Finger”, loosely based on my friendship about my friendship with my ex-husband’s first wife.
 
Me: Fantastic! I have to say that, reading between the lines, I'm flattered that I've had such an influence on your work. But other than me, has someone been instrumental in inspiring you as a writer?
 
Scarlett: Judy Blume; she wrote about things that kids really cared about that no one else had the guts to write about. Laura Ingalls Wilder, who made me fall in love with the written word. Stephen King, as he’s an absolute genius and personal mentor. 
 
Me: Stephen who? 
Something evil resides in those dentures!!
 

Me: Has someone helped or mentored you in your writing career? CONFESS!
 
Not Me: I attended UMaine at Orono (Full scholarship) specifically because I wanted to study with some of the professors he worked with; I was able to meet him and have my work (very favorably) adjudicated on several occasions. I’ve found that other writers love getting emails from up-and-coming writers, are great at giving advice and are great at staying in touch. 
 
Me: Who is your favorite author? [HINT: They Always get this one wrong].
 
Not Me: Of all time? I’d have to stay it’s a tie between Stephen King and Jodi Picoult. 
 
Me: WRONG!  Next question: What was your first sale as an author?
 
Scarlett: My play “The Centerfieldsman” was commissioned by several colleges.
 
Me: Other than playing Farmville, what is the hardest part of writing your books?
 
Not Me: The conflict. In real life, I always try to avoid conflict, and often skip it when I’m re-reading books!!  
 
Me: What does your significant other and family think of your writing career?
 
Scarlett: My husband fell in love with my writing before he fell in love with me; my daughters are very excited every time they attend my plays, and are literally counting the days till my books come out later this month and again in the spring.
 
Me:  I also fall in love with my writing before I fall in love with myself.  Usually all before lunch.
AND I HAVE NO HANDS!
 
Who are your books published with?

Not Me: Taylor Street Books and SkyHorse Publishing.

Me: Using only shadow puppets, describe your writing style.

Savage: I don’t have just one style; my adventure books are very dark with a lot of humor (to accentuate the darkness) and my chick lit books are very light and funny with punctuations of darkness to accentuate the lightness. 

Me: Do you hear from your readers? What kinds of questions do they ask?

Not Me: Most of the time they ask which character is based on me!! About “Broken Raven” they often ask, “Do you believe in the legalization of narcotics?” (YES YES YES); after seeing “Dear Daddy, Love Cassie” I was constantly asked, “Are you a rape survivor?” (again, yes,
survivor being the operative word.) 
WELCOME TO COMFORT, COLORADO!






Me:  Use no more than two sentences. Why should we read your book?
 
SCARLETT SAVAGE: Because I have an honest and unique and brave POV for my characters; because I talk about the things people are afraid to admit they think about.
 
Me: Without using pictures, entice us. What future projects are you considering?
 
Not Me: A TV pilot based on my project, “Thinking With Your Ring Finger”; movies based on both my current books; an internet series based on my YA play “I AM A GIRL!!!” (which was the 2008 National Girl Scout Jamboree’s Dramatic Presentation).
 
Me: Okay!  That's it.  I know there were more questions but I'm old and I have to pee again.  Thank you so much for stopping by (via email) for our chat. Good luck with all your endeavors, as long as they don't compete with mine. 
 
If you're looking for a good read but don't need zombies in every chapter, go check out Scarlett Savage!  As always, tips and comments are welcome.



1 comment:

  1. Excellent interview. I am a better sock puppet for having read it.

    ReplyDelete

You have an opinion about everything else. Might as well have one here. Remember, spelling counts.